Re: elearning and chat

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 11:05:11 PDT

Dear George, Mike, et al,

Let me throw in a quick two cents here and then am also happy to
respond, as possible, off-list to inquiries. If I am reading you
correctly George you are looking to AT to provide a possible theoretical
and design basis for your curricula or curricula artifact, right? What
comes to mind for me is the design of online-mediated learning that is
based on constructivist and/or constructionist pedagogical approaches.
I'll be a bit bold and suggest that AT is not a pedagogical approach.
;-) AT is, in part, an analytic approach and framework that can be
applied to any kind of human activity - including curriculum development
and implementation...and including any curricula that is traditional for
that matter, so an AT-curricula artifact is not a requirement (and I'm
not sure what one would be).

So, for example, you could talk about the multiple objects, motives and
divisions of labor within a curriculum design project, just as you could
examine these things within any learning activity that is mediated, in
part, by online resources and interactions (we played at this a bit
during our CHAT online course, on many levels ;-)). But, and I am open
to being corrected, I don't think you can really talk about designing a
curricular artifact based on AT principles, per se (but see my caveat
below). First, of all, as we all grapple with on this list, there are
varieties and nuances of things that are or pass for AT. But since
Vygotsky in particular has been mentioned; it could be that you are
interested in sociocultural learning theories and constructivist
learning theories as design principles? In which case you might
consider this book:

CSCL: Theory and Practice of an Emerging Paradigm, Timothy Koschman, 1996
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805813462/qid=1092332887/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-4626834-1723123?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

All of that said (now for the caveat), of course, Mike himself and
others from UCSD developed their 5th Dimension Projects based, I would
say, on a strong awareness of the implications of CHAT. Soooo, maybe I
was hasty in saying that AT does not present design principles. I'll
leave that a contestable comment. And, so you might like to review the
literature on 5th Dimension projects. One site for exploring 5th
Dimension projects and their relation to CHAT is here:

http://www.whittierfifthdimension.org/description.html

Mike might have other references. Anyway, I think these things may
point you in the direction you're interested in, with regard to trying
to extract some design principles from AT approaches/theories. In the
vein of sociocultural, constructivist approaches to learning I have been
using and learning about an Open Source online course-facilitation
software that claims to be designed around constructivist learning
approaches. It is called Interact and is available at SourceForge:
http://cce-interact.sourceforge.net/

I like it and it does have some nice affordances for creative social
interactions and conversations tied to documents, URLs, other learning
objects, etc. So you may like to check it out for ideas, George. In
fact, I was thinking of Interact as a possible contender for an online
environment the next time we might like to mount an international CHAT
course. ;-)

I hope that helps. And, as I mentioned, if I might be of some
additional assistance off-list I'd do what I can. I know there are
article discussions that want to emerge. ;-)

In Peace,
K.