FW: social relations and mediation

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 23:23:37 PDT

Here is a message from George, which he has been trying to send to the
correct xmca address, but with no success.

Carol

Dear all,

I have tried to send several messages to the group but it does not seem that
my messaged had been sent so that I am trying to send it again. Elsewise, if
my questions are inappropriate to the group, please feel free to let me
know. My apologies if you have received it:

I have been trying to read through a number of papers but have not been
successful so that I would like to ask for your views, opnions, and
consensus of the accuracy and validity of my reflections:

1. Individual learning in an e-Learning environment and sociocultural theory

I would like to know how sociocultural theory looks at 'individual
learning'. Putting this question into a practical context, I made a course
last year through the ACM. So, although other people might have taken the
same course, I felt like I was studying by myself i.e., individually - yet
using the internet, .pdf files, etc. and whenever I had questions, I could
send an email to a tutor. Now that I am in the process of reading through
sociocultural theory, I have come to understand the central idea of the
social learning process while at the other hand, sociocultural theory does
not look at the fact, like I did in reality, that one could study by
oneself - be it intentionally or unintentionally (e.g., what about if there
were no other fellow students a course?). Hence, this leaves me to wonder
about the standpoint of sociocultural theory towards this aspect?

2. The role of e-Learning artefacts and e-Learning tools

Taken from here, I would like to continue my thoughts with regard to more
intelligent, pedagogically and psychologically valid e-Learning artefacts
such as ITS (intelligent tutoring systems) and AHS (adaptive hypermedia
systems). On the basis of and under the umbrella of sociocultural theory, I
am trying to understand how intelligent e-Learning artefacts should or could
be i.e., at this stage, at a conceptual level while understanding the term
intelligence under the solid standpoints of neuroscience and cognitive
science. Do you think that this is a socioculturally valid research question
and what work does exist in this direction?

Or, alternatively, does sociocultural theory not look at the need of
intelligent e-Learning artefacts which would take on similar roles of an
instructor? What is the perspective of sociocultural theory towards
separating the roles and responsibilities of a system <-> learner <->
instructor?

3. Child learning versus adult learning processes in an e-Learning
environment

Furthermore, Vygotsky's theory mainly discusses issues in the context of
children. However, while reading on Vygotsky, I have observed and compared
my behaviour and preparedness in view of comparative learning in a social
context at the time that I was a child and contrasted this behaviour with
now being an adult. Now being a mature person, I feel that I have become
much more critical towards 'the world' and towards that what I am being
taught - simply because my net of internal associations in my mind and
percpetions towards to world are larger than those of a child. Saying so,
does this imply conflicts of learning under sociocultural perspectives?

4. Sociocultural theory and course delivery in an e-Learning environment

Thinking of e-Learning course delivery, I am wondering about the coherence
between cognitive apprenticeship and sociocultural theory? or,
alternatively, could you possibly direct me towards which 'instructional
design methods' cohere with sociocultural theory?

I would deeply appreciate your ideas, input, thoughts on the validity of my
questions due to my beginner's knowledge on sociocultural theory, and
discussions.

Best regards,
George

Hansjoerg (George) von Brevern