RE: Arievitch discussion

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 14:00:48 PDT

Dear Mike and everybody--

I referred to some research on mental abacus that was done in traditional
school context (which is very contrived as you know). If you know research
on mental abacus in other contexts, you are probably right about its
complexity (like Lave's research on math of shoppers).

However, I still do not understand why people got so fascinated with "mental
abacus"... To multiply 3456789462362455245245234523 by
6784848725245234534523452 without calculator or pen-and-paper is not more
complex (probably less complex -- that is why it is so difficult to do) than
to say something meaningful in a conversation with a friend(that is why it
is so useful). Any help?

Eugene