Re: Arievitch discussion

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 12:16:18 PDT

Mike,

The abacus example is a good one. We see the same kind of thing in
our work with Davydov's math curriculum when first graders start to
develop addition and subtraction skills for problems of the form:
(some number up to 10) plus/minus 1, 2, or 3. The curriculum includes a
structured progression from (1) a physical action (moving on the
number line through a gesture or by drawing an arc) to (2) a verbal
action (counting up in down after interpreting a symbolic expression
like 10 - 3 = ?) to (3) giving the answer directly with all actions
"folded up."

But, to what extent can we pursue this kind of folding/unfolding of
actions a la Gal'perin as "participating in a culturally organized
activity"? (Beyond the fact that abacus use and school arithmetic are
culturally derived.) How does this idea of a movement towards
Gal'perin's
"internal plane" (actions without the physical objects present) provide
some kind of breakthrough idea, as Arievitch suggests, to overcome the
dualities
he mentions in his conclusion?

Peter