RE: quipus

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 07:11:06 PDT

David Kellogg--
Re your delightful example about the ababacus, one thing i might add that
might be helpful (and Valsiner says this better than I); microgenesis occurs
at a very specific moment of ontogenesis, and therefore is not subject to
the same laws governing ontogenesis, although it might be an occasion for
learning, and then for LSV, for development. We could think of microgenesis
as a time slice through ontogenesis, with the construction of new strategies
that are not typically at a qualitative level greater than the task before,
although potentially so. The examples I can think of are so obvious, that i
am sure you have better ones.

Now--back to marking mid-year exams.
Carol