Re: bias and concealed weapons

From: david.preiss@yale.edu
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 13:01:07 PDT

I just would like to add to the great analysis of Jay that the fact
that this is happening at the richest country of the world, the same
country that has at its disposal the most sophisticated ways of self-
defense, makes the issue both more absurd and scarier. When I read a
few months ago about new military trials of long range missiles for
self defense I could not help but wonder from whom are these guys
trying to protect themselves?!

What is absurd is that lots of the fears of the average American
citizen look manufactured and invented when compared with the life and
problems of an average refugee or citizen of the third world. The
American guy has the resources to be happy and is in fear.

What makes the issue scary, of course, is that the same guy is willing
to act based on his or her fears and to produce an Irak or a Columbine.

And what makes the issue more disgusting is that with the money used in
arms, small and of mass destruction, we could likely solve most of the
nutritional problems of earth. How could the same country that has the
leading research universities in the world to produce such distorted
view of reality? How could the country that has total technological
control of earth be living in panic?

David