Re: the role of externalization

From: Yrjö Engeström (yrjo.engestrom@helsinki.fi)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 15:44:26 PDT

Beautiful example, Mike.

The key reference is:
Goldin-Meadow, S. (2003). Hearing gesture: How our hands help us think.
Belknap Press.

I think we may expand the point far beyond math tasks. Children's
imaginary companions are a case in point. They are often, but not
always, represented by material creatures such as dolls or teddy bears.
When I was a child, I used to draw events and adventures with my
imaginary companions (they were twin brothers) in the air with my
finger when I went to bed and waited for sleep to come.

In this case, drawing in the air was used to "control" my own fears,
anxieties, hopes and desires.

Among studies of imaginary companions, I have not found any which would
deal with drawing in the air. Anyone else?

Yrjö Engeström

Mike Cole kirjoittaa lauantaina, 5. kesäkuuta 2004, kello 15:20: