RE: another view of Panofsky: what is "habitus"?

From: Ares, Nancy (nancy.ares@rochester.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 07:19:07 PDT

        I appreciate the question about habitus and cultural practices or
cultural repertoires. It is helping me think about something that has been
nagging at me through this discussion -- units of analysis. Habitus, as
defined by numerous sources people have cited in this discussion, is very
much an individual construction. When we start to invoke cultural practices
and repertoires, we are nodding to work that focuses more on groups and
activity at that level. I guess one of the things that has drawn me to
sociocultural, cultural historical theories is the explicit recognition of
people-in-activity and the important frameworks available for thinking
about/understanding culture, change, and difference across groups in
productive ways. How do others think about units of analysis around these
constructs? Why does the focus seem to move to individuals so readily?

        thanks,
        Nancy