Re: another view of Panofsky: what is "habitus"?

From: maria judith (mariasucupiralins@terra.com.br)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 18:49:13 PDT

Habitus is a concept from Thomas Aquina.
It is a disposition of a person or a faculty, which is the opposite of
potential ability.
There are inherited habitus and acquired habitus.
Science may be understood as an acquired habitus, which makes brain's
activity easy.
A person develops different habitus during his life. Art is also an habitus.
Habitus can be seen between act and potency (power of acting, which needs to
be put in action)
A person, who has never studied math, has only the capacity of learning,
this is an habitus.
These and other ideas can be found in Thomas Aquin's works. Bourdieu' s view
of habitus is very close to Thomas Aquin's explanation.
Maria