lynchings

From: Ares, Nancy (nancy.ares@rochester.edu)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 08:22:44 PDT

There is an exhibit of photographs and postcards of lynchings, with
people smiling as well as writing notes to family and friends on the
postcards, at Jackson State University in Mississippi. The collection
has traveled to a few cities in the US (Atlanta is wehre I saw it), and
the University is trying to fund a permanent installation. National
Public Radio did a story on it this weekend; you could likely find the
interview and some photos on the NPR website.

Chilling, as is much of the dialogue about how inhuman we can be to
each other...A connection to one thread of the ongoing conversation on
this listserv is the dehumanizing of victims, the treatment and viewing
of them as subhuman.

Nancy