Re: Discussion of EVI's Concept of the Ideal

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 07:26:50 PDT

Victor and Steve-- Gasping to keep up having tracked down the Panofsky
article from Phil's suggestion which is due on my desk today.

I simply wanted to note that the following kind of statement drive me nuts!:

the ideal is nothing else than the
 material world reflected by the human mind, and translated into forms of
thought.

never mind the "nothing but". I have always had difficulty with the different
meanings of *reflection* at use in this family of discourses, and used as in
this sentence strikes me as akin to spreading fairy dust over a problem
so that all the sparkles make you think something must be there.

I look forward to reading your annotated read, Steve. Thanks for taking the
trouble.
mike