RE: Does no one read [between] Vygotsky's words?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 07:58:47 PDT

Dear Eliza-

Thanks a lot for your very informative reply. One of many things I really
like about XMCA is that people from different countries and cultures
participate in the discussions and it is possible to hear diverse voices.
XCMA helps me to expand my own narrow views and connect better with the
world on personal and intellectual levels. Of course, I'd like to have even
more diversity on XMCA to hear more people from Africa, from Asia, from
Latin America, and even Europe....

Let me response to your message....

I agree.

>Every aggressor automatically takes the risk of a
> counter attack, so he deserves no compassion - the innocent victims are
the
> only ones who deserve compassion.

Yes. Actually, my compassion is expanded to all people - not only to
innocent victims - soldiers who become traumatized by the war even if they
fight on the "right" side but also even if they fight on the "wrong" side.
Being drafted in the USSR to the war in Afghanistan in 1986 (I managed to
escape), I had a lot of "thoughts" about and sympathy for soldiers fighting
on the "wrong" side.

> In the context of war every soldier
> defending his country and people has one aim - eliminate the enemy.

I'm not so sure... It depends on the war and on the soldiers and on
situations...

>BUT that
> does not mean deriving sadistic gratification in TORTURING the enemy. As
for
> interrogating terrorists for vital information concerning security and
> defense - in my opinion the end justifies the means - BUT again sadistic
abuse
> is not part of getting information.

I agree. I think many people would agree with this statement as presented in
this black and white formulation. Unfortunately, in-situ, many situations
are "grey areas" with a lot of pressures and lack of communal support to see
things in a "straight way".

>My brother-in-law was a POW in Egypt from
> May 1970 to November 1973. There are no words to describe the atrocities
done
> to him (torture, rape etc.) the pictures from Iraq can give you some idea.
His
> mother tongue is Arabic but since his release 30 yrs. ago he refuses to
use
> the language - like the survivors of Nazi-KZs refuse to use German. A good
> illustration of this are those shocking pictures of the Tanzim abusing the
> corpses of Palestinians accused of collaboration - I know for a fact that
in
> many cases those accusations are false libels.

Thanks a lot for sharing this story. I think it is very important not to
forget in this story about US and UK soldiers that in many Arab countries
torture and humiliation and extra judicial killings (?) is wide spread
practice with little coverage by media. Very few courageous human right Arab
observers try to monitor the situation and report to international
organizations (like Amnesty International) with little attention from the
overall international community (e.g., UN). It is understandable that people
in US and UK are shocked about actions of their soldiers but they are a part
of bigger problem of military abuse of power around the world: bigger in
scope and spread.

> Concerning sadism in military context: I personally believe that there is
> connection between these high-ranking generals exploiting their power to
> sexually harass women-soldiers (or young male ones) and sadistic behavior
> towards the enemy. Of course there is a strong cultural element in this;
for
> example my husband who has been a combatant soldier since the 6-day-war
has
> seen a lot in his military-biography.

Yes, according to some reports during the Soviet time, even in peace time
there was 5% deaths in Soviet military when almost every young male between
18-10 had to serve in military. The death rate was even higher in so-called
national minorities (Armenians, Jews, Azerbaijani, Georgians, Tatars, and so
on). Official causes of the deaths were suicide and "accidents" however they
were not reported to the press, of course.

> He personally is a private from a less
> privileged cultural background and he witnessed favoritism based on socio-
> demographic factors. For example, his commander was a Kibbutznik of
European
> background and his behavior to the oriental-Jews from development towns
was
> outright racist. Sexual harassment was most common among the "upper-class"
> rather than the "lower-class". When it came to it, those who did the real
work
> at the front were mostly privates - for example during the Yom Kippur War
my
> husband fought at the Egyptian-front - he was in the Chinese-Farm (a
death-
> trap that only very few survived) and afterwards crossed the Suez Canal -
the
> only high ranking generals he saw out there in the fire were Ariel Sharon,
> Abraham Bren, Dado Elazar and Gorodish - the "Heros" Moshe Dayan, Hayim
Bar-
> Lev kept a very safe distance from where the simple guys where sacrificing
> their lives.

Thanks for sharing. It outrages me but, unfortunately, does not surprise me.
Sexual harassment, homophobia, racism are problems of the entire society but
in military with all its power and hierarchy and lack of escape these
problems become much more acute.

What do you think?

Eugene (Evgenii or just Zhenya)

> Alisa
>
> > Dear Alisa-
> >
> > I think your posting raises important issues such is whether military is
> > inherently evil and whether "creative cruelty" like we see in Iraq is
> > (in)avoidable (there are other issues, of course).
> >
> > In my view, military, as legitimized murder, is inherently evil but,
> > sometimes, it is unavoidable evil - meaning not having military can be
even
> > more evil. A good example is Tutsi army that stopped genocide in Rwanda.
> >
> > I think that cruelties like those exposed in Iraq have to be expected
from
> > any army and then to think how to counteract it and minimize it. I
remember
> > reading in Sartre that if revolution can't win quickly, it will
socialize in
> > methods of its enemy. I think he made this observation based on his
> > participation in French resistance. Recent revelations by McNamara about
his
> > participation in WWII also (about allies' deliberate and large scale
efforts
> > to terrorize and kill civilians of Germany and Japan to win the war)
support
> > this interactive socialization in the methods of enemy. I think this
> > phenomena of military "crueltization" has to be study to learn how to
> > minimize it (again I do not think it is possible to completely eliminate
it
> > from military practice).
> >
> > Also, it is important to study this phenomenon of military crueltization
> > contextually and historically. How many political, military, and social
> > "mistakes" can be done in Iraq before US military institution can be
> > completely demoralized and crueltized and the public can say it's
enough?
> > What is alternative now?
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Eugene

Revital
> > > Ochayon and her infants from Kibbutz Metzer etc. etc., my daughter and
her
> > > friends have been motivated to serve in the army because they feel
that
> > only a
> > > military training can improve their ability for self defense. In
religious
> > > schools the whole issue of women serving in the army is taboo. But
seeing
> > > these cases have outweighed the social taboo. As a parent I feel
> > uncomfortable
> > > that my child should be exposed to 2-3 yrs of military life but on the
> > other
> > > hand I feel that part of her general education should involve also
> > learning to
> > > survive in situations like we face here today. In our day and age
violence
> > and
> > > terror have unfortunatly become a fact of life. I can't help thinking
that
> > the
> > > only Jews (including members of my family) who had the chance of
defending
> > > themselves during the holocaust where those who joined the partisans
and
> > got a
> > > military training like for example those teenagers from the Vilna
Ghetto.

> > > Alisa L.

> > processes
> > struggle