Re: rumors and the original sources of them

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 00:58:32 PDT

Mike,
Regarding your statement:
I am not pre-judging the outcome of the discussion. I simply think it
unuseful
> to pass off second hand rumours as facts which then become the accepted
> context for interpretation in cases where better evidence is available. Of
> course, that exercise takes time, and we all are busy with other matters.
So
> it may be just as well to pass on to topics of more contemporary relevance
> to xmca-ites.

The information concerning the Kholkhoz leadership I cited was the result of
what became a month long interview ( 5 to 6 days a week, 4hrs a day)of an
ex-official of the Ukrainian SSR who was in an excellent position to observe
the activities of a fairly wide range of party officials- both civilian and
military. I'm a trained ethnographer and my general impression of the
information collected from this gentleman is that was at least as good as
the ethno-historical material I collected in the mid '60s on Vancouver
Island Amerind military history and war practices and on the holocaust of
West Coast Amerind populations produced by the TB epidemic of the 1890's.

  It's of interest to note that Fainsod's *Smolensk under Soviet Rule*
confirms the material collected in the course of the interview.

Highest regards,
Victor