RE: Does no one read [between] Vygotsky's words?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 23:06:04 PDT

Dear Ana-

I did not have time to read Gredler and Shields' article (I'm still in San
Diego) but the quotes that you nicely put together make me agree with the
authors. It seems to me (and I can be wrong) that one of the issues is a
POLITICAL Soviet context. The rhetoric about "upbringing the New Soviet
person" (ridiculed later by dissidents as "homo Soveticus") was used in the
early 1930s by Stalinist propaganda. It seems to me that Glassman
dangerously aligned Vygotsky and Luria with the Stalinist propaganda
machine. I'm personally much more comfortable with Gredler and Shields'
formulation (as presented in your quote) than with Glassman's one. Although
it is well-documented (see Rogoff, 1990) that Luria overlooked the political
context of his Uzbekistan experiments (i.e., Stalinist collectivization
terror), there is no evidence that Vygotsky and Luria accepted the Stalinist
call for "upbringing the New Soviet person" as Glassman seems to suggest.
Knowing Soviet history, Glassman's statements cited below about Vygotsky and
Luria make me VERY uncomfortable. In contrast, I'm very comfortable with
Gredler and Shields' statement that
> Particularly important is that the study was a golden opportunity
> to test the long-standing and widespread debate among
> ethnopsychologists, sociologists, and others as to whether categories
> of thinking are universal (the Gestalt view) or whether
> primitive and advanced technological cultures produced different
> levels of intellectual development (see Luria, 1979; van
> der Veer & Valsiner, 1991).

Sorry if my comments do not make sense because I did not read the articles
but react only to the short quotes.

What do you think?

Eugene