RE: mlk instead of spam

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 02:00:15 PDT

Mike wrote
A local student who has spen time working in orphanages in Sri Lanka sent
a note to a group of people among whom I am numbered. It comes from
Martin Luther King. It seemed to resonate with a lot of my thoughts as I
go about my daily life, images from Iraq crowding letters on the screen.

I thought others might find it helpful.
mike
------

Martin Luther King Jr. once said in his Strength to Love Speech in 1963
that: M-^SDarkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate
cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence
multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending
spiral of destruction....The chain reaction of evil--hate begetting hate,
wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the
dark abyss of annihilation.
[Carol Macdonald] From where we look now, this seems so apt: might is not
always right, and can, in the end, be worn out from insurgency.