Re: iscar call

From: kangasoj@mappi.helsinki.fi
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 23:50:38 PST

Below is the info on submissions and deadlines from the conference webpage
uder 'program'.

Myself and some colleagues from Helsinki (Tarja Knuuttila, Sami Paavola)
have been planning to propose a symposium for Theme A/6. semiotic mediation
and meaning construction. For now we are working with such broad titles
as 'new forms of mediation' and 'epistemic/conceptual artefacts as future
oriented tools in transforming practices/selves'. This is a continuation of
the Finnish Iscar meeting last December, and especially the
theory/methodology stream organized by Jussi Silvonen. In case someone on
xmca would like to join us in building such a symposium/double symposium
proposal already at this preliminary stage please send an e-mail to me
jonna.kangasoja who-is-at helsinki.fi. We are thinking of sending a more focused
invitation to contribute to the symposium later, probably early September.

-jonna

-------

A proposal can be submitted for:

a paper that corresponds to one of the congress themes or subthemes.

a poster that corresponds to one of the (sub) themes of the congress.

a symposium that corresponds to one of the (sub) themes of the congress.

All papers will be organised in symposium sessions.

A symposium is allotted one hour and a half or two hours and contains 3 or
4 paper presentations followed by 45 minutes of plenary discussion. The
organisers strongly encourage participants to propose new and interactive
symposium formats: in addition to the regular paper symposium, one could
also think about organising a poster symposium, an interactive symposium
(papers have to be distributed and studied before participation), a point-
counterpoint symposium (two radically opposite papers are presented and
discussed). The program will promote regional meetings for different ISCAR
sections.

Deadlines

For symposium, paper and poster proposals: 10 January, 2005

Notification of acceptance/rejection: 15 March, 2005

Final digital versions of summaries: 7 April, 2005

Procedure

All paper proposals must include: 1) title of paper, 2) authorīs name, 3)
mailing address, 4) e-mail address, 5) a 400-500 word summary (max), 6) a
reference to one of the congress themes/topics.

All symposium proposals must include: 1) title of symposium, and a
indication of the format chosen 2) title of papers, 3) name and address
information (mail addresses and e-mail) of organisers and participants, 4)
a 400-500 word summary (max) of each paper, and 5) a 250 word description
(max) of the theme of the symposium clarifying the relation of the
symposium to the congress theme or to one of its subthemes.

All singular poster proposals must include: 1) title of poster, 2) authorīs
name, 3) mailing address, 4) e-mail address, 5) a 400-500 word summary
(max).

Proposals must be submitted by e-mail and sent to: iscar2005@iscar.org

Topics

The discussions of the congress will be thematically related as much as
possible. Below you have a list of main issues that may be discussed during
the congress. Participants should focus theirs presentations on one of
these subthemes

THEME A.- Theoretical and Methodological Issues

New trends in Cultural-Historical theory and research

Cognition in social practices

Diversity and heterogeneity of mind

Emotion and subjectivity in culture

Self, identity, and culture

Semiotic mediation and meaning construction

Narrative construction of self.

Methodological challenges in cultural and social research

Theoretical and methodological problems in Activity Theory

Qualitative research and social practice

Problems of the unit of analysis

THEME B.- Acting in changing worlds

Socialization, interaction, and human development

Ways of discourse, modes of thinking and forms of participation

Learning and knowledge construction in social practice

School practices, interaction, and discourse

Argumentation, negotiation, and intercultural communication

Literacy in changing worlds

Citizenship in changing world

Doing gender in changing world

Life long learning in changing worlds.

New technologies, communication, and identity

Working place and new technologies

New ways of teaching-learning and technology

Sociocultural approaches to therapy practices.

Intervention programs in institutions (design and assessment).