totalitarian cultures

From: david.preiss@yale.edu
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 20:35:14 PST

I think that your reference to the issue of social referencing is
great, Bill. I think that the question may be reframed then as how a
developing fascist/totalitarian society distorts this basic feature of
human communication and its developmental path. Indeed, one of the
features of these societies is that we do not have an adult to rely on
but the Supreme Leader. Cases of kids denouncing their parents are
paradigmatic. Calls for a great family are usual as well. Masses are
joined in the devotion to one leader, who usurps the role of the main
caregivers. When and how the power of a totalitarian culture, such as
the Nazi culture, can destroy social referencing? What is the role of
cultural tools such as the media? I wonder which institution would
fund these days a study on the development of the totalitarian mind.

David