RE: goals, agency, and interplay of forces

From: david.preiss@yale.edu
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 15:49:05 PST

Thatīs a quite cool answer, Iraj. I agree with most of what you say.
Still, I canīt help but think of the disciplinary nature of the
schooling process (also a la Foucault...) Second, and assuming
schooling as a given, I wonder how can a minority student to challenge
the cultural routines without breaking up with the system as a whole
and, because of that, to loose the benefits associated to his/her
paradoxical belonging. Of course, thatīs an issue that does not have a
definitive answer and where, I guess, there is a huge space left for
creative, idiosyncratic answers. What I understand as non violence is
simply stated what Gandhi and Martin Lther King taught about it. I
believe in its transformative power and I believe thatīs the best way
to act within a disciplinary context, as school, as well. Of course
what you defined below as transformation fits nicely with my own
thinking, so far the teacher is committed to the change.