RE: International Women's Day; thoughts on Esther Goody's 1987 article

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 10:34:54 PST

Steve—
Your detailed thoughts are most interesting. I would just like to add two
little minor points:
1. In domestic violence, there is an “approach avoidance” strategy:
inasmuch as the man doesn’t “want” to hurt his partner, he still does (for
whatever reason). Women, as you know are drawn continually back into those
situation, despite considerable support, and “safe houses”. How we rid
ourselves into those situations has not been solved by social workers—they
mere acknowledge the phenomenon as severely impinging on their work. Maybe
CHAT can help the social workers.
2. In SA, in the black community, because of issues such as greater
professionalism among women, and other factors (induced by apartheid), there
is a great loss of authority amongst men; in other words, the patriarchal
system is partly breaking down. Families are more and more matriarchal, with
men relegated to their reproductive role. This seems to make men very
angry, and they attack women as much in groups (gang rape) as well as
domestic situations. I think if men see themselves as losing power, they
may, in the interim, actually become more violent. Just a thought—maybe
others will see a similar pattern in a rapidly changing society.
Carol