RE: International Women's Day

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 05:49:18 PST

Dear Carol-

It is about 1% of total "Russian" (they are not all ethnically Russians)
population is in jail.

You said,
> We need such efficient policemen in South
> Africa, where the majority of violent crime is never convicted.

Who said it is efficient?! My aunt works as a volunteer lawyer in Russian
Human Right watch committee in Russia and she told me about thousand
innocent people being placed in prisons in Russia while organized crime
together with official corruption is very strong in the country. Ordered
killing is still very common in Russia...

On the Russian program devoted to the International Women's Day they
interviewed a woman prisoner who got 7 years of the maximum security jail
for killing her husband who systematically beat and raped her. She will
spend the rest of her term in a regular prison.

What do you think?

Eugene