RE: Leont'ev-Vygotsky controversy

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 10:19:55 PST

Rubenshtein won a Stalin Prize, Eugene. And Pavlov hated psychology. In
1952 maybe Pavlov won out, and certainly Luria's work (for example,
semantic conditioning with Vinogradova, and his appropriation of second
signal system idea as cover for mediation by language) was heavily
self-censored and ventriloquated through Pavlovian language. But at that
time he fully expected to be disappeared.

I am glad you are so optimistic about democracy in the United States.
And how interesting that Mr. Putin has now declared the fall of the
USSR a monumental tragedy. The fact that our President has been able
to look into his eyes to see what a great guy he is reassures me no
end, perhaps they are similar to the eyes of his father, who, like
Putin, comes out of the intelligence services. Or maybe my optimism
comes from Mr. Ashcroft's defense of civil liberties.

Enough for now. Time to work!
mike