RE: Motives and goals

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 10:06:54 PST

Dear Andy and everybody-

I want to attract our attention of our use of physics (mechanics)
terminology in our discussion of motives like "force", "impulse", "inertia",
"direction", "movement". I think this parallel between psychology of motive
and physics (mechanics) of movement is a very deep historical and, probably,
philosophical phenomenon (at least for Western civilizations). Aristotelian
mechanics has been heavily based on (certain) psychologizing the nature.
According to it, any movement (an "action") has a reason and requires force
(a "motive") that mobilizes an object for the movement. Stillness is the
nature of the objects (people). Movement (action) requires a force (motive).
This is traditional approach to motivation: every action has a motive.

Galilean revolution in mechanics declared that movement per se should not be
explained but its changes should. Movements do not have reasons and force
only their changes do. If we translate this to psychology, then "Galilean
psychology" of motives would probably follow Andy's three points. Motive is
not about a reason for an action but it is a reason not to follow a powerful
affordance. It is a change in affordance done through mediation. Also, in
Galilean physics, force is not a property of an object but an expression of
interactions between and among objects (and fields). Similarly, motive is
"interaction" (mediation) of several conflicting affordances.

Now, Andy asks me is this "Galilean psychology of motive" what I meant?
Well, I feel more comfortable with Galilean psychology of motive than with
Aristotelian psychology of motive. But like Jay, I'm not fully satisfied
with that step either - it is not going far enough (although it guides us in
the right direction, I think). Not only have we needed to move to
Einsteinian psychology of motive (to add a relativistic spin) but also we
need to move beyond "physics of motive" all together to study what can be
called "institutional production of motives." Let me give an example. There
are studies show that almost all kids join school liking all academic
subjects but later on in school, a majority of them learn to hate these
subjects on a systematic basis while minority of the students keep learning
to like them. These proportions convincingly fit economic needs. The issue
can be how schools systematically produce these different motives.

What do you think?

Eugene

PS Minor comment. Andy, I would not call the "thoughtless" bowling as
inertia (unlike you want this physics parallel) but rather affordance. It is
a bit more active and more distributed than metaphor of "inertia." If I
understood Carol correctly, the "thoughtless" bowling has an important
social aspect that the notion of affordances (or "psychological fields") can
capture better in my view.

PSS Thanks, Andy, for making these points that help me to reflect on my own
thinking!

  _____