RE: Motives and goals

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 09:27:11 PST

Dear everybody-

Jay is absolutely right about macro focus on the issue of motive (I did not
address it in my previous long message). Motives are distributed across
society, practices, and history. Actually, any practice can't exist without
reproduction of motives.

How can I see this macro and micro level of analysis of motive are
connected? Remember, that I defined motive as mediated conflict of
affordances (using Gibson's terminology). Motive is distributed in, at
least, two important ways. First, the affordances themselves are channeled
by practices, institutions, and cultures. For example, right now we are
working on a new specialization graduate program in our School of Education.
We consult our graduate students for their input on our drafts. When we
wrote in our early draft about "program coursework requirements", this
language channels the graduate students and mobilizes them to ask questions
and think about their own institutional survival rather than authentic
learning. However, when instead we listed academic practices that are
expected from novice academicians with Ph.D., the students started thinking
about learning resources. It is clear that the institution forces them to
mobilize differently and promote different affordances.

Of course, Phil is right that people do not necessarily blindly follow their
affordances. He correctly wrote, ". but rather as an agent who responds to
the shifting constraints and affordances of particular settings." However, I
argue that for people to shift the constraints and affordances they found
themselves in, they have use cultural tools of mediations that available to
them. This is the second way how motives are socially, culturally, and
historically, distributed. People transform the cultural tools available to
them to shape their situated conflicts of affordances.

Finally, I want to emphasize my agreement with Jay's insistence on analysis
of motive production (especially on institutional motive production) as it
is not well studied phenomenon. Although I would not neglect micro-analysis
of motive, I think we need to focus on macro-analysis.

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____