Re: Mead's research methodology

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 21:44:47 PST

Thanks Lyn.

Since sending that post, I have among other things, been pointed to the
work of Thomas Scheff. Scheff confirms my impression that Mead's brilliant
speculations did not in fact have empirical research-based support. They
were just part of a whole Progressive Movement, and this movement and its
work provided support in lieu of research properly so called.

I have worked my way through Honneth's appropriation of Mead and although I
was quite impressed at first, at the end of the day I find a lot of fault
in his conception. I think Mead anticipated some of Honneth's errors and
Honneth's mistaken belief that Mead gave him "empirical backing" did not
help things.

My rough notes of this reading are at:
http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/honneth.htm

Andy