Re: Culture of honour

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 18:49:04 PST

Hans,

I have had a little to do with the concept of 'honour' in my recent
readings of Hegel and various interpreters. One of the things in this
reading is that to the modern ears 'honour' is an outmoded and destructive
feeling. It has its origins however in very material conditions and
life-threatening attacks. We here in Australia, as in Sweden, don't think
very much in terms of 'honour' because the implications of an insult to our
honour are pretty slight; we're not going to die if our son becomes a
right-wing politician. Codes of honour, as I see it, have their origin in
fairly fragile social conditions where a single apparently small slight to
one's honour threatens to unravel, so to speak, one's whole way of life. If
you don't rectify the insult by immediate and total revenge, for example,
then you expose yourself to elimination as a person worthy of life itself -
like a wounded animal that is devoured by its own kin.

I think that while obviously protecting 110% the victims of such vendettas,
one has to look at the underlying causes for the continuation of this
feeling of fragility. Going beyond 'honour', I suppose, means understanding
that even if you don't prove to everyone that you are willing to die for
your belief, no great disaster will befall you.

Andy