RE: real and virtual worlds

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 16:23:54 PST

Dear Andy, I think you are right on the target talking about, what Jim Gee
calls, "projective identity." The question that I have is how and why
working class people participate in middle-class "cultural model" (or way of
talking).

It is not the case that working class people accept any middle class
"cultural model" that available via TV or other popular media. Although I do
not have much data about that but I doubt that many working class people
would buy middle class cultural model of child fostering based on constantly
giving kids choices. So the question is why some working class people
project themselves in "self-actualization" middle-class cultural model but
not in "child-rearing through choice-making" middle-class cultural model. I
do not think the preference of working class people in adapting middle-class
models can be explained simply by watching TV. Any ideas?

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____