Re: false consciousness: real and virtual worlds

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 07:20:09 PST

David,
   Setting aside the issue of "False Consciousness" as a warped excrescence
of trivial Marxoid Economism, let's concentrate instead on the central issue
of Marx's work, the illusory relations between work and value engendered by
the centrality of the germinal notion of commodification of labor
characteristic of Capitalism. David (and Andy) Marxian theory does not
assume that Capitalism produces multiple class perspectives - au contraire -
it is based on the observation that all participant members of Capitalist
society accept as Truth the valuation of things (hence labor) in terms of
their exchange value. If this weren't the case the system wouldn't exist
for even a moment. The acceptance of exchange value as the way for judging
the worth of things is basic to much or most of our activity and thought -
as richly diverse and contradictory as it may be - and is a pan-class
feature of the society in which we live, Capitalist society.

 In general, the class perspective, i.e. the Marxist analysis of the
relations between labor and value, has been a permanent historical fact in
very limited circles - mostly for some social theorists and activists - and
has had a had a very sporadic and stormy historical life for larger
groups - particularly for labor movements and their opposition in times of
crisis. Essentializing the "class perspective" at level of the individual
actor - even for those social theorists and activists who espouse it - or at
the level of collective activity - even for the trade Unions and Company
directorships that rally to their class-flags in industrial crises - is
either the wet-dream of particularly naive activists or a strawman built
for purposes of facilitating a weak argument.

The post-structuralists J Shotter and Garfinkle (Ethnomethodology) have made
their point; that Historical conditions, be they the stream of consciousness
of the individual actor or the fleeting, one-time states in the history of
collectivities are essentially chaotic and complex. But, if I may paraphras
e Jay Lemke's communications of several months ago, if all we can say about
human behavior is that it is chaotic and complex, we would do better to go
home and find something else to do. Some social relations - such as "the
commodity" mentioned above - have more centrality and longer life-spans than
other social relations, and these do give regular form and content to even
the least orderly of experience and organization.
Regards,
Victor