RE: false consciousness: real and virtual worlds

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 09:07:11 PST

The distinction between micro and macro environments and the idea of
false consciousness seems useful, Jay, as much as I don't like binary
distinctions by levels (nor do you).

We were discussing around here this morning the abilit of W to declare
the "weapons of mass destruction" question vis a vis Iraq as a "non issue"
and were pretty much in agreement that he is right, with respect to the
US electorate. Why? Because the electorate, with their high consumption
of energy, exploitation of "the others", and hopes for wealth and
immortality find it easier to live with themselves emulating his model.
Ditto der ubbergropper, as Gary Trudeau puts it.

What ought to be our own stance(s) in such a situation?
mike