Re: false consciousness: real and virtual worlds

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 00:28:36 PST

Ana,
It seems to me that you missed the heart of the issue. That is: just how important is their ballot for the well-being of their families, their friends and, of course, their selves. Most or many citizens regard voting as fairly irrelevant to the things that really concern them. First, because in representative democracies you vote for a candidate and then he goes off and makes his compromises with the influential, which most voters are not. Second, there are much more direct means for getting your way; neighborhood organization, labor actions and pressuring local politicians and bureaucrats - like the neighborhood social worker. Decisions to vote for National and gubernatorial candidates are for most people either based on traditional party membership or personal taste. This is not an example of false consciousness, it's a pretty realistic evaluation of the importance of these processes for most people!
Victor