RE: false consciousness: real and virtual worlds

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 19:12:48 PST

Dear Judy and everybody-

I do not equate irrationality with "false consciousness" but rather other
way around namely, for me, "false consciousness" is manifestation of
irrationality. However, I'd agree (following Latour) that irrationality is a
characterization of incomprehensible others. In other words, "false
consciousness" (like irrationality in general) is a relational rather than
an essential notion. In this, I may be different from Marx who seemed to
coin the notion of "false consciousness" (but may be not!).

I think that the phenomenon of "false consciousness" is born out of (at
least) two consciousnesses whose practices (and ways of being) do not
overlap in some serious ways. When I just came to US as a refugee from the
Soviet Union, a guy tried to convince me to join Am-Way
(http://www.amway.com). It took me a while to realize how this consumer
pyramid works and that it is based on robbing (although lawful robbing)
those who are at the bottom of the pyramid. The guy had somewhat cynical
attitude and quickly agreed with me. However, he was shocked with my
conclusion of rejection to participate in Am-Way. In his view, I probably
had "false consciousness" (he did not know this term) because I betrayed my
economic interests and my family (he called me "a communist"). I was
definitely irrational to him. Indeed, why would a person be more loyal to
unknown others rather than to his own family? I knew that from being that
this guy came from my reasoning was false, irrational, and stupid. I
remember that he said with frustration "You came from a communist country to
a capitalist country that is based on people like in Am-Way!" He was
right...

I wonder what would take this guy to understand me? Would understanding me
jeopardize his well-being? Would my understanding of this guy jeopardize my
well-being aiming at that time at a social science academician (where I'm
now)?

In other words, I argue that "false consciousness" is always functional and
always relational.

What do you think?

Eugene