Democracy, Federal Government, and Education

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 07:27:43 PST

[This posting apparently did not go through yesterday, hence my earlier test.
Could not be sure until the archives proved so this morning. Here's a second
try.]

Concerning the role of the Federal Government in Education, and whether it
should be considered "interfering" or "doing it's job", I think a little
historical analysis might help. (CHAT to the beckoning?) In its preamble,
the US Constitution establishes the object to "promote the general Welfare,
and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity". If we
interpret this statement inclusively and liberally , the US gov role in
education appears secured, "our Posterity" arguably encompassing our
children.

Dewey in "Democracy and Education" does argue so:

"Upon the educational side, we note first that the realization of a form of
social life in which interests are mutually interpenetrating, and where
progress, or readjustment, is an important consideration, makes a democratic
community more interested than other communities have cause to be in
deliberate and systematic education. The devotion of democracy to education
is a familiar fact. ... A democracy is more than a form of government; it is
primarily a mode of associated living, of conjoint communicated experience.
The extension in space of the number of individuals who participate in an
interest so that each has to refer his own action to that of others, and to
consider the action of others to give point and direction to his own, is
equivalent to the breaking down of those barriers of class, race, and
national territory which kept men from perceiving the full import of their
activity. ... A society which is mobile, which is full of channels for the
distribution of a change occurring anywhere, must see to it that its members
are educated to personal initiative and adaptability" (p. 87-88)

There is more to read before, after, and in between what's quoted , which I
find fascinating in its considerations of education and democracy.
Personally, within any given duration I might not agree with the means and
ways with which the Federal Government invests itself in education, but in
understanding democracy at a fundamental level I *cannot* hold this
investment itself to be invalid.

Oh yeah, on a similar note -- we will have some opportunity soon to review a
second draft constitution for CHSIG, which has gone through a first draft and
commentary by some SIG officers past and present. It'll appear some time in
the next week or so on a web site and perhaps also in email for discussion by
the membership. Stay tuned. I'm open to suggestions for this process.

--
bb