Re: Jobs and motivation: Help is needed

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 20:46:44 PST

I love those sort of stories. Here's two more:

In London there is (was?) a bus conductor who is (was?) equally famous. He
gave his passengers a total performance - singing, dancing, joking,... it
was a kind of street theatre.

In an American city, the transport engineers were worried about one
toll-collector on a particular bridge who always had a long queue, while
the traffic flowed freely through the neighbouring gates. You guessed it.
He was such a joy to deal with, with his Rock music and chat, that drivers
preferred to wait 5 minutes to give him their money than to drive straight
through the other gates.

Andy

At 11:28 PM 16/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>mailin1.pacific.net.au id hBH4T7Qk012750
>
>Dear Philip, Eugene and all,
>Eugene's story about his grandmother reminded me of another story I often
>tell my students.
>In the 50s and the beginning of 60s urban automobile traffic in Belgrade
>was just beginning to "thicken". We did not have traffic light yet, so on
>some very busy intersection they had to place a traffic policeman (woman)
>to regulate the traffic. I don't know if anyone remembers what does that
>look like. The cop has white cloth "sleeves" over his/her arms (just the
>bottom part) and white gloves. He or she stands in the middle of the
>intersection with the arms extended on both sides in the direction of the
>road that is open. Then, s/he raises one arm to stop all the traffic,
>turns to face the other road and extend the arms to let the traffic flow
>that way. Occasionally, s/he points out to a particular car or a line of
>cars, and motions it to go in the desired direction. Basically, one can
>say, there are about 5 - 10 motions that the cop can perform. The usual
>shift for traffic cops in Belgrade was 4 hours.
>Can you imagine standing 4 hours in the middle of an intersection tuning
>this and that way, letting cars pass this and that way??
>So, there was this particular cop, let's call him John, who made this job
>into an art. He moved so graciously, with a smile, with his white gloves
>flashing this and that way, looking at every diver straight into their
>eyes, as if he was there personally just for them. He made it into a kind
>of a ballet dance. People used to come out on Sundays to either stand on
>the side walk and watch him or if they had a car, to drive through his
>intersection several times, just to have HIM let them personally through.
>John became a legend. People heard about him in other places, and when
>visiting Belgrade, asked their hosts to take them to see John!
>I saw him many times, as a child. Then and now I always wandered how a
>person can make the most repetitive, dull and difficult job into something
>that must be called art, something that becomes one's pride!! Not everyone
>can do that, and I think that this is something that is not taught any
>more. I think that in the times of pre industrial production, that quality
>was something that was socially cultivated (as in "grown") in people --
>this ability to perfect your own skill at whatever you do.
>
>Now I think that I illustrated what I think is the third way: I think that
>people can be happy if they develop a relationship toward their own
>work/job/life that can make it a meaningful activity. It can be something
>of a personal choice, or it can be a relationship developed out of
>necessity, after the fact that there is no choice. Just the ability to
>create an "art" out of whatever you do, regardless of everything else, is
>an activity of making your work and therefore yourself more meaningful.
>What do you think?
> [...]

5e2509.gif