RE: Jobs and motivation: Help is needed

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 17:21:47 PST

When I retired last year I had a lot of discussions with colleagues about
whether they could do the same. The response I got was very very uniform,
from the lowest maintenance worker up to professors running big research
programs: "OK I'm over 55 and my superannuation entitlements are already
much bigger than yours and yes my kids have left home but ...." where
followed all sorts of excuses, like the need to buy a holiday house or
something. I found that people are very very reluctant to separate
themselves from their job even if they hate their job and even if they
don't need the money, but the need for money was invariably 'used' as the
reason for going on working.

(doesn't count as scientific research I know, but the message was very clear)

Andy