Re: ADHD research request

From: Dale Cyphert (Dale.Cyphert@uni.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 06:33:07 PST

Could there be some issue with the ways in which the ADHD children were
diagnosed? If in that school (presumably suburban middle class?) the
teachers had identified children as "probably ADHD" on the basis of
their "abnormal/agressive behavior" and thus those behaviors were over
represented?

My own work has not been with ADHD, so I really can't help you much with
references there, but certainly in the oral communities I study, the
high achievers could undoubtedly have been diagnosed ADHD had they been
forced to stay indoors doing "book" work for long periods each day. The
"good" kids in this rural agricultural community are high-energy,
low-focus boys who keep up with the animals. They don't do all that
well in my university classes....these are the back row boys... but they
are great salesmen and foremen after they graduate!

dale

--
Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
Associate Professor