Mike's talk

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 16:09:19 PST

Mike, I really enjoyed the talk and it was really great to see you in the
virtual flesh! I greatly enjoyed some of the observations about the meaning
and etymology of the words. It had never occurred to me that
"consciousness" actually meant "together-knowing" for example. How profound
were the makers of our language!

About mediation.

Hegel said:

"there is nothing, nothing in heaven, or in nature or in mind or anywhere
else which does not equally contain both immediacy [Unmittelbarkeit] and
mediation [Vermittlung], so that these two determinations reveal themselves
to be unseparated and inseparable and the opposition between them to be a
nullity."
[http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/hl/hlbegin.htm]
You would know that I had a bit of a discussion about mediation on this
list a while ago and tended to find a lot of resistance to the idea of
"mediation" being an important concept for Vygotsky psychology.

What do you think?

Andy