RE: Carol Lee's article

From: Steve Gabosch (bebop101@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 17:33:42 PST

Hi Phillip,

Here is a penny's worth. Your comments made me want to go back to Lee's
article to confirm just who her research work is really for. As you point
out, she does not begin with the perspective of being a teacher. In my
opinion, she begins from the point of view of students, and in particular,
students living in poverty and students of color. Below are some quotes
from Lee on this. I like her focus both on students and the question of
resources. At the same time, your stress on the importance of closely
involving teachers in research and implementation is very important, and I
heartily agree.

- Steve

Philip writes:
Her research work is clearly not for teachers, even though it is teachers
who in the final result would be the implementers of such a project. I
also wonder if Lee’s piece is even for teachers in teacher education. For
if this project that Lee’s proposing is so valuable, where is the call and
recognition for such a project to be implemented in our community colleges,
four year colleges and universities?

from Lee's article:
page 43
... in light of political inequities, this article emphasizes the
importance of attending to the cultural worlds of students who have been
traditionally underserved by public education and have been largely denied
access to new computer-based technologies being developed to support
complex problem solving.

page 58
We know there are serious issues of equity in terms of computer uses in
schools serving students of color and students living in poverty. Such
students are more likely to have less access to high-end hardware and are
more likely to use computers for low-level tasks. Yet, to assume that the
many sophisticated constructivist, knowledge-rich, computer-based tools
currently being used in schools are culturally neutral may steer us to miss
important basic questions.

... the methods by which we evaluate how such computer-based tools are
appropriated and their impact on learning, on the whole, do not take into
consideration differential effects for groups that differ by ethnicity,
race, language use, or class. It is quite possible that the tremendous
funding being invested in the development of such computer-based tools in
education may be simply reinforcing current inequities in opportunities to
learn, unintentionally widening the achievement gap.

<end>