Re: timescale question

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 16:08:55 PDT

I think there is an important differences between making unthinking
metaphors or analogies by importing the logic of one process into the
understanding of another, and on the other hand, tracing the mediations
that actually articulate between different spheres of activity and
thinking. Analogies always exist and sometimes concepts can be imported
from one science to another, but sometimes they can't. Vygotsky's criticism
of the "biogenetic hypothesis" is a case in point. On the other hand, part
of the difficulty of reading Hegel's "Notion" is that the whole thing is
written as if it were a treatise on Logic, whereas it is easier to
understand if it is read as a treatise on the Sociology of Science.

Andy