Re: enculturation, ethnemes, pedagogy, research

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista (lucabaptista@sapo.pt)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 10:20:20 PDT

Mike,

When I read Goffman's name I decided to jump into this discussion.
I think your comments are right on target, as long as we have in mind that
even the "cultural resources" are not - and cannot be - a well defined set.
These "resources" and their "appropriate" uses should be understood as
"prototypes". It's much the same way as in Wittgenstein's famous discussion
of the concept of a "game": we can't give a finite number of necessary and
sufficient conditions to characterize all and only the activities that are
games, but nevertheless we are able to tell if someone is or is not playing
a game.

In this sense, we might say that someone is acting "appropriately", even if
we are not able to give a clearcut definition of what "appropriately" means:
"It goes without saying". And Eugene, if you see things that way, there is
no need to worry about the word "appropriate".

Rgrds,

Luiz Carlos Baptista
lucabaptista@sapo.pt
lucabaptista@hotmail.com