Re: research - writing, printing, computing

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista (lucabaptista@sapo.pt)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 06:28:24 PDT

David,

Tomasello does a terrific job in Cultural Origins, but I don't see it as an
alternative to innatism. When Chomsky talks of an innate "language faculty",
he proposes that its "maturation" - during a certain "critical" period -
depends on the exposure of the child to the proper environmental settings
(for the latest exposition, cf. "New Horizons in the Study of Language and
Mind", Cambridge UP, 2000). As far as I can tell, such concepts as "joint
attentional scenes" and "social-pragmatic cues", as discussed by Tomasello,
actually contribute to our understanding of the interactional and cognitive
aspects involved in the acquisition of a particular language - seen as a
concrete instantiation of the innate "language faculty". Please correct me
if I'm wrong.

As regards your questions about the general topic, I have to admit that I'm
still in a very early phase of my investigations. But just to give you an
example concerning "logotechniques" and digital media, I have a strong
interest in analyzing the relationship of video and computer games to
society at large. Such games could be thought of as the result of processes
of "world design" - what could be, in some sense, traced back to tabletop
games, especially in the strategic and role-playing variety. This line of
research could be extended to encompass the developments in fields such as
Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life.

That's it for the moment. Rgrds,

Luiz Carlos Baptista
lucabaptista@sapo.pt
lucabaptista@hotmail.com