Re: Vygotsky Quote

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 14:29:01 PDT

> However, it is
> only in a constructivist pedagogy that the teacher can target specific
> concepts and directly support their achievement.

David,

I've having a hard time with this statement, possibly due to my personal
fuzziness on what "constructivist" means.

I'm thinking in terms of:

constructivist -- "accomodation"
enculturation -- "appropriation"

And I'm stuck on an approach like Elkonin-Davydov being oriented towards
appropriation of concepts (= enculturation) and yet having really
powerful
methods for "targeting specific concepts" by means of the ascent from
the abstract
to the concrete.

Can you help me unravel this? (Maybe I'm not clear on your 6
categories.)

Peter