another passage

From: Cunningham, Donald James (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 09:10:23 PDT

Since we had so much fun with an earlier paragraph I posted, here is
another for your amusement. The author is Eliot Hearst, formerly of
Indiana University, now at University of Arizona.

How fast can you spot what is unusual about this paragraph? It looks so
ordinary that you might think nothing was wrong with it at all and, in
fact, nothing is. But it is atypical. Why? Study its various parts,
think about its curious wording, and you may hit upon a solution. But
you must do it without aid; my plan is not to allow any scandalous
misconduct in this psychological study. No doubt, if you work hard on
this possibly frustrating task, its abnormality will soon dawn upon you.
You cannot know until you try. But it is commonly a hard nut to crack.
So good luck!

I trust a solution is conspicuous now. Was it dramatic and fair,
although odd? Authors hint: I can not add my autograph to this
communication and maintain its basic harmony.

Don Cunningham

Indiana University