Re: Vygotsky Quote

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 12:41:25 PDT

David wrote:

> ...an "enculturationist pedagogy" in which ... one focuses on
> supporting
> the development of the classroom microculture so
> that it comes to resemble the target culture with respect to the
> targetted
> forms of participation.

> I distinguish this enculturationist agenda from a
> psychological-constructivist agenda in which the goal is to help
> students
> develop stronger, more viable conceptual structures.... and
> developing tasks designed to stress the students' current conceptual in
> ways that are intended to produce cognitive perturbations leading to
> conceptual restructuring.

It's interesting that in the Russian "Developmental Instruction" schools
(Elkonin-Davydov system) _both_ of these hold. The formation of
a classroom microculture ( a culture of "quasi-research") is of primary
importance, and yet the approach is clearly aimed at developing
more viable concepts through tasks that are initially posed by the
teacher but later on with ever-greater independence by the children.

In the E-D approach, I believe that these two aspects are not, however,
regarded as distinct orientations arbitrarily married together.

Peter