Race/Ethnicity/Instruction

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 11:47:58 PDT

Juanita has tried to post the following message of xmca but has been having
some sort of difficulty. I am posting it while we figure out what needs to
be done for her to post directly.
mike
>From jmccole@ucsd.edu Fri Sep 26 15:37:27 2003
Subject: Re-thinking Race & Ethnicity in Educational
Research
Date: Thu, September 25, 2003 1:01 pm
To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu

I would like to invite the XMCA community to engage
in a discussion regarding the important themes raised
in the current issue of Educational Researcher:

http://www.aera.net/pubs/er/eronline.htm

It would be extremely helpful for my research
project, which seeks to enrich the basic literacy
skills of African American children through
culturally responsive instruction, to dissucs these
questions specifically:

1. What terminologies are best to characterize
cultural variations in approaches to learning that
reflect an individual's cultural background?

2. How does one avoid the traps of using
Europeans/European-Americans as the reference point
when making comparisons in learning? Why is it even
necessary to make these comparisons when study
individuals from a specific cultural group?

3. How can researchers design effective educational
interventions that build upon the fundamental
cultural experienes of learners; yet still take
into consideration the shared common practices across
ethnic/racial groups as a result of access to public
media, symbols and practices?

--
Juanita M. Cole, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow