Re: Lteter Oerdr? -- changing into "Direct teaching or arranging situations for learning"

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (anamshane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 13:43:14 PDT

Hi Nate,
here is a quote form Vygotsky's Educational Psychology:

 From the psychological point of view, the teacher is the director of
the social environment in the classroom, the governor and guide of the
interaction between the educational process and the student. [...]
Though the teacher is powerless to produce immediate effects in the
student, he is all-powerful when it comes to producing direct effects in
him through the social environment. The social environment is the true
lever of the educational process, and the teacher's overall role reduces
to adjusting this lever. [...] Thus, it is that the teacher educates the
student by varying the environment (Vygotsky, 1926/1999, p.49).

I think that Mike may have had that in mind when he said "arranged"??
Maybe "directly teaching" referees to the misconception that a teacher
can produce "immediate effects in the student" -- or at least, if you
are critical, to imagine that teaching is producing of immediate effects
and nothing else...?
This is really worth discussing.
For instance -- how much can a teacher really achieve in producing
immediate effects - is that the goal or what??

What do you think

Ana

lev wrote:

> I am having trouble making sense of this statement. First what is the
> difference between "directly taught" and "arranged for". Is there a
> meaningful purpose for such a distinction.
>
> When I think of "arranged for", what comes to mind are having books
> around that may or may not be utilized or utilized in way in which
> reading is accessible to some and not others.
>
> I would strongly resist an argument that a teacher's labor of
> "arranging for" is some way not "directly teaching".
>

> I had never thought of the issue from this angle before. Thanks
> for helping
> me make the connection back to our argument that the acquistion of
> reading
> is a creative process which cannot be directly taught, but can be

Ana Marjanovic-Shane
267-334-2905 (cell)
215-843-2909 (home)