RE: Critical Pedagogy: For the masses, only?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 09:09:04 PDT

Dear David and everybody-

Here is my two cents in replying to your thought-provoking question.

I think that the definition of critical pedagogy as "directed primarily
toward the oppressed classes" is a bit too narrow and essentialist. I think
that critical pedagogy is about dealing with personally felt and recognized
injustice in whatever form and whatever social groups it occurs including
but not limited to injustice inflicted by the person him- or her-self.
Although it is true that there are socially structured injustices but
injustice occurs among "oppressed classes" as well. In my view, Friere's
term "conscientizacao" highly appealing to person's feelings is aimed to
capture that. Also, Foucault's insistence on constant critique of any
"solution" as potentially harmful and oppressive for some people under
certain circumstances is going along the same lines.

Maybe, I'm so ambivalent of "the oppressed classes" rhetoric because my
personal Soviet experience but I worry when oppression and justice get
structurally divided among social classes and social groups without denying
the existence of structural injustice and oppression.

What do you think?

Eugene