lichnost, cognition, emotion

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 08:59:10 PDT

Ana-- We are all dealing with much worms which I take to be one cause
for silence, but the startup of school is sure one barrier to communication.

One thing that may or may not be clear to people on the list is that the
English separation of cognition and emotion does not have the same
status in a lot of other languages.

Slavic languges fit into this category in a big way, so it is not surprise
that the concept of lichnost would be affected. And note, when we do
combine emotion with another term, it is social as in socio-emotional,
no cognitive-emotional. But leading theories of emotion in the US
literature on development, such as Campos et al, make evaluation,
a cognitive mechanism as well as communication central to the
defintion of emotion.
mike