RE: FW: improv

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 07:33:45 PDT

Dear Bill and everybody-

I remember Davydov's lectures when he argued that Marx insisted that
understanding the world means transforming it (does somebody know a cite
from Marx?). I wonder if it goes back to Hegel. Anyway, Davydov applied that
point to Piaget saying that Piagetian stages can only be understood by
changing and disrupting them.

As to Vygotsky, he consciously incorporated Marxian notion of understanding
in his methodology of "formative experiment". Sometimes, I feel that people
using Vygotskian methodology do it too narrow forgetting its spirit rooted
in Marxist-Hegelian philosophy.

I believe that you can read about Vygotsky's methodology of "formative
experiment" and how it was influenced in
Veer, R. v. d., & Valsiner, J. (1991). Understanding Vygotsky: A quest for
synthesis. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.

Any other ideas? What do you think?

Eugene