RE: RE: Activity Theory and tools for analysing language

From: Gill Boag-Munroe (gillboag@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 02:13:59 PDT

Thanks Eugene. I have found Gee's work useful - especially in defining 'discourse', and I like Andy Hargreaves' work, too. I think Jay Lemke's text is on my pile of 'reading to do', but I was unaware of the relatedness of Latour's text, so an especial thank you for that.

I'm looking at using a concordancer for some of my data analysis and incorporating some techniques from corpus linguistics to compare Government and teacher 'education language'. I'm hoping that from the comparison I will be able to tease out evidence of how teachers think about the proces of teaching and what 'education' means to them. And how it parallels/deviates from Government thinking. I've found the work of Michael Stubbs and Susan Hunston helpful here. And again, Norman Fairclough does something similar in his 'New Labour, New Language?' (2000).

Regards

Gill

Gill Boag-Munroe
23 Shenstone Avenue