Re: Space and time in chat

From: Ben Reshef family (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 12:04:08 PDT

Sorry this was written so late, but better late than never.

Among the reasons for my hesitation in participating in the exchange, was due to a certain bewilderment as to what was actually being discussed. This confusion is very similar to that I experienced when first encountering Letrist thought and Lefebvre's theories in the late '60s and early '70s.

For one thing, I fail to see the need for a whole theory of space with a complex ontological framework and a most peculiar kind of aestheticism that combines Durkheimian Idealism, i.e. Absolute space, with Nietzchean culturology. Despite my reservations concerning some of D. Herbert's work, I certainly agree with him that Marx and Engels and other Marxist theoreticians did consider spatial issues in their works.

Second, it is not very clear whether the issue under discussion is the notions of space and time or of activity in space and time. My general impression of Lefebvre's work is that he focusses his attention on the abstracted notions of space , but regularly mixes concepts of space with those of objects and activity in space . Sojo's Third Space, with whom I'm less familiar, appears to completely confuse abstracted notions of space with objects and activity in space.

Third, both Lefebvre and Soja appear to have developed an ontology of thought and practice that resembles neither that of Hegel nor of Marx. For example, Lefebvre proposes the notion of abstract space as a special characteristic of Capitalism. Does this mean that mankind has only developed the capacity to develop abstractions and concepts in the modern era? This sounds like the especially French tendency to divide mankind into primitives without the gifts of reason and the enlightened races of Europe (especially France?):e.g. de Montaigne, Rousseau, Lévy-Bruhl and Claude Levi Strauss. It may be that Lefebvre confuses abstraction in general with Marx's basic definition of Capitalist practice as reification of commodity, and then mistakenly goes on to regard all rational use of space as capitalist appropriation. Very strange to say the least!

Materialist social science asserts that history and social life are subject to the laws of Nature and that their study is restricted to the same epistemologies that govern research and theory in the other Natural sciences. Most human activity is enacted in Newtonian space (the space in which Newton's laws of motion, energy, and mass are evidenced - not to be confused with Euclidean space):

NEWTONIAN SPACE AND TIME:
 "Absolute space in its own nature, without relation to anything external, remains always similar and immovable. ...absolute and mathematical time, of itself, and from its own nature, flows equally without relation to anything external, and by another name is called duration" I. Newton.
Space and time were taken to be featureless objects which served as a universal and preferred reference frame. A consequence of this is that a given distance will be agreed upon by any two observers at rest with respect to each other or in uniform relative motion, for, after all, they are just measuring the separation between two immovable points in eternal space. In the same way a time interval will be agreed upon by any two observers for they are just marking two notches on eternal time.

The emphasized portion is the basic principle of the potentiality for shared information that is critical for any theory of social organization and practice.

 In contrast to classical and neoclassical economics, Marxist theory has always shown an explicit and implicit concern for the spatial aspects of social life. Their theories of imperialism, ancient and modern, of the effect of uneven development, and so on show a fairly high level of awareness of the role of space in historical processes.

Naturally, inclusion of space and time into a theory of history demands definitive statements concerning space and time. Here's what Engels says about it (1877 AntiDuhring, Space and Time):
And for this reason Herr Dühring sets to work very cautiously; actually it is of course time, but of such a kind as cannot really be called time, time, indeed, in itself does not consist of real parts, and is only divided up at will by our mind - only an actual filling of time with distinguishable facts is susceptible of being counted - what the accumulation of empty duration means is quite unimaginable. What this accumulation is supposed to mean is here beside the point; the question is, whether the world, in the state here assumed, has duration, passes through a duration in time. We have long known that we can get nothing by measuring such a duration without content just as we can get nothing by measuring without aim or purpose in empty space.
In effect Engels is saying that we objectify space and time by filling it objects. This appears to be in direct contradiction with Newtonian space and time which is absolute and unmoved by anything (see above). Actually, this contradiction is only apparent, since a more complete and concrete notion of Newtonian space and time would have to include the instrumentation that fill and measure it. A more concrete version of Newtonian space would then be:
given that two observers pack(measure) space and time with the same objects, they will agree upon the results. And, if the observers pack space and time with objects that can directly or indirectly be used to fill all other objects in space or time, then they have a unitary measure for all fillings of space and time.
Now then what is being objectified here, space, time, or the packing of objects? Actually all of them together comprise a single notion, which leads me to suggest that the singling out of space or time as object, for any but the most abstract physical theory is a gross reification of more concrete and more interesting subjects such as the social and material relations of time-motion research, the restricted smoking areas, and monumental architecture.

Objectified time and space are useful concepts in physics and can be borrowed from it in order to make physical comparisons between material objects and activities. This information is of the highest value for revealing the physical conditions that restrict the historical process. In using these objectifications of space and time we must be very careful to avoid regarding physical measures of space and time as determinating practice. In the concrete material realities of human practice, objective conditions involve far more abstract concepts than those of objective space and time. Take for example Jay's statement:
What if space is not differentiated? '... imagine a spatially homogeneous world ... where every place was more or less like every other, where buildings consisted of identical rooms, identically furnished, where there was no point in going to the mountains or the sea because all landscapes looked the same'

Actually, I know of such a place, the Campus of SUNY Albany. I first saw this architectural desert in 1964 or 65 when it was brand new. By the end of the school year the students had gone a very long way in deconstructing I. F. Stone's geometrically pure design and SUNY Albany administration's regulations for preserving it, including decorating a dining hall ceiling with a dried brocolli stalk. Clearly there was a good deal more to the objective conditions of student life on the Albany campus then the metrics of its campus architecture. (Lefebvre would call this "diversion" while I would regard it as a fairly normal aspect of social activity in academic institutions).

We can also examine as social practice certain activities involving reifications of time and space, e.g. the imposition of teaching schedules by certain groups of education administrators and the making and using of time-motion studies by production managers. Jay's comments on scheduling of school activities:
. Schooled activities tend to be brief and self-contained (i.e. isolated, disconnected), on the order of 5-20 minutes. None that are really coherent over the scale of weeks and months, much less years. Yet I think we know that development, which defines the most important dimension of learning (i.e. learning that lasts), only takes places over these longer scales.and ... In any case, I have serious doubts that much of anything learned in school on short timescales contributes significantly to longterm learning in most people's lives.
might be a good place to start investigation of the contradictions between the needs and interests of students and teachers and the role of objectified time and space in the administrative planning of curriculums and teaching schedules in the realization of the needs and interests of those that make them. Kevin's work is good ethnography (if we regard his references to space as purely physical ones), but does little to enlighten me concerning issues of educational practice.

To regard objectification of space and time as a universal character of all practice appears to me to be a confusion of concepts and a false representation of most social activity.

Bakhtin's chronotopes and the issues of space and time.
Here's the material from Morson and Emerson's "Mikhail Bakhtin: Creation of Prosaics" quoted by Phill Chappell on the 27th of last month.
"In its primary sense, a chronotope is a way of understanding experience; it is a specific form-shaping ideology for understanding the nature of events and actions...Actions are necessarily performed in a specific context; chronotopes differ by the ways in which they understand context and the relation of actions and events to it."
 and
"All contexts are shaped fundamentally by the kind of time and space that operate within them. Kant, of course, argued long ago that time and space are indespensible forms of cognition, and Bakhtin explicitly endorses this view. But he differs from Kant by stressing that in chronotopic analysis, time and space are regarded "not as 'transcendental' but as forms of the most immediate reality"...time and space vary in qualities; different social activities and representations of those activities presume different kinds of time and space. Time and space are therefore not just neutral "mathematical" abstractions".
Frankly, I'm lost. If time and space are not just neutral mathematical abstractions, then what are they? How are they real?

In light of what I've written above it appears that the statement should first be reversed to different kinds of time and space presume different social activities and representations of those activities and the term presume should be exchanged for the term are implied by: different kinds of time and space are implied by different social activities and representations of those activities. And then what? If the kinds of space and time are implicit in the social activities and their representations, then why not discuss the activities? After all these are the determinative elements of the analysis. I tend to agree here with Phil that the chronotope is a slippery metaphor - and that it is much easier to think in terms of genre and discourse.

Victor