SIG business meeting speaker * FLOOR IS OPEN

From: Judith Vera Diamondstone (JDiamondstone@Clarku.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 07:25:20 PDT

Hi, there. Two topics ran neck 'n neck for the business meeting address.
CHAT implications for the future of education won by a slight margin. It
actually seems quite related to the debate proposed by Pedro.

The voting booth, btw, was a freebie that Bill found; it left a lot to be
desired & won't be used again.

A number of speakers were proposed. Luis Moll was nominated several times,
but I have emailed him on another matter and haven't heard back, so he might
not be available. Other nominations include Gordon Wells, Mike Cole, Yrjo
Engestrom, Kris Guttierez, Vera John Steiner, Joe Glick, and Pedro Portes.

As program chair, in the interests of the SIG, I propose a speaker who can
draw an audience from outside as well as within the xmca community, which,
of course, all our nominees would do, but we might want to rank them on this
issue. (Rank?? THEM?? in the name of CHAT??? -- well, ranking is a just the
tool; can we judge the purpose, not the tool?). The point of a speaker is
in part to get CHATers involved in the SIG and in part to increase the SIG's
visibility at AERA and generate more interest in CHAT.

So I would like to invite everyone to address the issue of who should be our
speaker on the topic of CHAT implications for the future of education.
Please, nominees, don't take any comments personally ! because email is not
anonymous, but the Object should keep the trope of community alive. And to
all SIG members and friends, please feel free to nominate others as well as
comment generally on the sort of speaker you'd prefer.

Judy, for CH-SIG